Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Uncomfortable

.

This was uncomfortable to watch.

It's in my nature to want to get along with folks. I don't love rocking the boat. I don't want to call people out or make them uncomfortable.

BUT, it's part of moving things forward. A necessary step in breaking down bigotry.

And it appears to be a thankless job most of the time.

.

But then I think of the countless people who had to, and continue to (right at this minute), endure far worse than social awkwardness from the business end of the bigotry barrel.

It seems like a small sacrifice compared to Matthew Shepard (and his family), or any one of the recent gay-bullying suicides that've only recently gotten a spotlight in the media.

We need to take courage & speak up.

Real people are suffering untold misery.

.

So next time I'm faced with rocking the boat, in my head I'll hear:

Uncomfortable awkward? Or..

Uncomfortable suicidal?

Uncomfortable gay bashed?

Uncomfortable lost my job?

Uncomfortable threatened?

Uncomfortable kicked out of the military?

Uncomfortable gang-raped?

.

Speaking out against bigotry is not as offensive as bigotry itself.

(I'm just reminding myself....)

.

blog comments powered by Disqus